Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Clean Food FAIL!

Ugh!  I'm so disappointed in myself.  I've been making giant strides towards eating a clean "real" food diet.  We bought a dozen eggs from farm raised hens (direct from the farmer herself!) this weekend at the Farmer's Market this weekend.  They really are better tasting!  But the best part of the direct-from-the-farm-eggs is that I can feel certain that they were ethically farmed.  Concurrently, we are trying to be very budget conscious and I've been planning our weekly menu based on what's on sale.  This week turkey breasts were on sale so I bought 2, which I roasted tonight UNSUCCESSFULLY.  I kept taking it out to check the temperature, the temperature never reached the healthy 170 degrees so we ended up taking it out (after over 3 hours of roasting), my darling husband carved it and stuck his portion in the microwave so kill any remaining bacteria.  I was so disappointed that I had participated in the SAD (Standard American Diet) so I nibbled on one piece and I promptly stuck the remains of the bird in a stock pot and I am attempting to coax some stock from it.  Sigh.  Now I feel guilty that I bought two of them and I am wondering what to do with the 7 pound turkey breast I have in my freezer!  Maybe I can find a shelter that will accept a frozen turkey?  From now on I will only buy animals to eat when I can determine the provenance right down to the farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment